On October 20, 2011 I had the privilege to speak at the AIGA Chicago’s Living Principles event with John Harris (principal at a5). The event sold out and featured a discussion of how the Living Principles are being utilized in the professional practice (via John) and in undergraduate graphic design education (via me).
If you missed my talk here is a quick snapshot of sustainability in the BFA classroom:
- There is no Graphic Design BFA in the United States that focuses on sustainability
- Most sustainable-themed projects are under the discretion of the instructor
Here is what I think must happen:
- Best to teach sustainability in managable chunks
- e.g Minimization, Materials, LCA, etc.
- Sustainability should be a foundational element in the art classroom (like composition and color)
- Whole systems design should be mandated in the design process
- We must educate the educators to increase the discussion and practice of sustainability in the classroom
- Design must leave the design classroom and connect with people (design with not for)
Here is a link to the entire talk.